Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is from the Oct. 5, 2004 Edition of Woman's World magazine.
- 4 slice white bread, finely chopped
- 907.18 g lean ground beef
- 4 egg yolks
- 59.16 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 29.58 ml dried onion flakes
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml mustard powder
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 297.66 g can condensed French onion soup
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- In bowl, combine bread with 1/2 cup water; let stand until absorbed (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in beef, yolks, 2 tablespoons parsley, onion, salt, mustard, ginger, garlic, and pepper.
- With wet hands roll heaping tablespoonfuls of meat mixture into balls, about 60.
- Place in crock pot.
- In bowl, mix together soup and flour; pour over meatballs.
- Cook on high until cooked through (about 4 hours); stir.
- Stir in sour cream and Worcestershire sauce.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley.
Great recipe...I did do a few changes though. I added 1 cup of half and half to meatballs, and I baked them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes so my sauce would not get greasy...then I doubled sauce and put in crockpot on low for 5 hours (my crockpot is very hot)...turned out perfect...
Nobody in my family liked this recipe.
This is an easy and solid recipe. The meatballs should definitely be browned in oil before being added to the crock pot, but otherwise I have no real complaints. However, having sampled both, I really prefer the sweet-and-sour style (especially the chili sauce and grape jelly version) to this french onion style.