Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Tasty slow cooker recipe for stuffed bell peppers.
Make and share this Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1⁄2 lb lean hamburger
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -2 cup of shredded swiss cheese
- Cut tops from peppers and remove seeds, rinse and set aside.
- In a large fry pan or skillet cook hamburger and Italian sausage until browned, drain.
- Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Stuff filling into bell peppers: place into crock pot in an upright position. Peppers can be overstuffed. And leftover filling can either be frozen and used later or placed in and around peppers in crock pot.
- Cook on low setting about 7 hours or on high setting for about 3.5 hours.
- Can also be baked instead: place into a 8X12 baking dish and back covered at 350F degrees for 45 mins and uncovered for 15 mins or until browned as desired.
- Top with desired amount of shredded Swiss cheese when serving.
- Substitutions: Use Quinoa in place of rice. Use 6 to 8 med plum tomatoes in place of canned dice tomatoes. (may need to add liquid in this case.) Use 1 Tblsp of fresh chopped garlic in place of garlic salt.
This was absolutely delicious. I added the garlic salt before seeing the note about substituting fresh garlic, so I did that too. Next time I would add a couple cloves of garlic instead of one and keep the garlic salt. I also used a mix of brown and white rice, which was delicious, and added about 1/3 more rice than the recipe called for. I used about 1.5 cups of cheese, but next time I would make it more like 3/4 cup. Will definitely make this again.