Recipe by lovinmykids
I am not a bean eater, never have been. But I found this recipe in Love and Dinner and tweaked a bit. I make it love it and my family loves it too! This is a must try for those who do not fancy canned beans.
- 2 cups navy beans (measured prior to soaking)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 lb bacon (sliced small)
- 1 medium onions (chopped) or 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped or sliced)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 2 cups of bean in water over night, or in the morning. The beans must have soaked a minimum of 6 hours. For those who have never soaked beans, pour the beans in to a bowl and cover beans with water. Water should be at lease 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch above beans. This allows beans to absorb enough water with out getting dry.
- Strain and pour the beans in the crockpot. Slice your bacon I use scissors if it is completely unthawed medium to thin slices. Chop onions to your preferred size I like Medium, and chop garlic. Add to the beans.
- Pour water into a bowl and mix remaining ingredients in the water and stir. Pour over beans and mix well.
- Cover turn on LOW and cook 8 to 10 hours. DO NOT LIFT THE LID, only when it is close to the end of cooking time. Take a test and see if you like the texture, if not cook for remainder time.