This is so perfect for entertaining or to serve on Game Day. This dip stays soft and warm the whole time, doesn't get cold and solidified like many other artichoke dips I have made. You can make either the shrimp version or the crab version, or even substitute clams if you prefer. Also, I have added a small can of drained water chestnuts on occasion. ** Also, I use my small slow cooker for this recipe and just leave it on all day - think it's a 2 quart cooker ** One more note - one of my girlfriends loved this so much that she made the recipe as is and served it over linguini for Sunday Pasta.
- Pam cooking spray (I use the Pam Olive Oil spray to coat the crock pot before adding ingredients)
- 1 cup crabmeat (lump crabmeat or imitation crabmeat)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 onion, chopped (1 small onion chopped & microwaved with 1 teaspoon olive oil for about 1 minute or 4 medium green on)
- 2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained & chopped (I use Rienzi or Cento Brand & pulse them a few times in processor)
- 2⁄3 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained well
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces black olives, drained (sliced black olives)
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and combine. Cover.
- Cook on low 1 or 2 hours.
- Stir until well blended after cooking.
- You can leave this on "keep warm" setting all day, stirring occasionally, if cheese clumps or separates from sitting.
- Serve with pita wedges, cocktail rye, or sliced crusty baguette type bread.
I was very disappointed in this recipe. I found it bland, unappetizing in texture and in smell. I was really thinking that this would be very decadent and cheesy, combining lots of my favorite ingredients, and I really did not enjoy it. It may just be my tastes since other reviewers seemed to like it.
WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! TRUE!! You HAVE to try this recipe out at your next party too! In reading previous reviewers, added 3 heaped spoonfuls of chilli flakes as personal taste for me! Also after 2 1/2 hours added extra tub low fat cream cheese as wanted it re consistency. Makes ALOT I must say, but this recipe MAKES MY DAY! Thanks! Next time, will try and find hot cheese, Other than that, this recipe does please! DEFINATELY pulse artichokes, TRUE! Will make artichioke lovers even if they SAY they don't like it TRUE! ***Note: I used prawns cut very fine, I found this to be devine!!!
Loved it! Every time we go to a UFC fight, I am always asked to bring this dish (mainly from my BF). He actually brags about it! The only thing different I did was I served it with Ritz crackers. Still great! Thanks for the recipe!