Prep 45 mins
Cook 9 hrs
A slow cooked hearty dinner soup. Lovely to come home to on a cold winter's day. You can prepare the ingredients the night before if you wish.
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh beets, shredded
- 5 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- fresh parsley (optional)
- In a slow cooker, layer ingredients (except sour cream and parsley) in the order listed.
- Cover and cook on LOW 7-9 hours or until veggies are just tender.
- Add more pepper, lemon or sugar if desired.
- Top each serving with sour cream and parsley if desired.
DH thought it was great, except that it needed more beets. I thought it was ok, but left something to be desired, hence the three stars. I added more beets, some salt, more lemon juice and a good pinch of thyme. Brought the soup up to the boil, let it cool down gradually so the flavors would blend. Not bad. I originally substituted potatoes for the parsnips (not one of our favourite veggies), but that was the only change. There is lots left over to freeze, so we'll see what it is like next time we have it. Oh, forgot to mention - I don't have a slow cooker, so just used the stove top on the lowest setting possible. Left it for 8 hours with the lid on tight. Served it with good rye bread and sour cream. Thanks for posting, Lorac.
We loved this. I found this recipe because I had some beets to use up. I made it as written, except I used beef bouillon. I cooked it for close to 10 hours and it had wonderful flavor. I stirred some fat free sour cream into this when it was cooked. A fabulous dinner. Thanks!