Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a variation of the recipe posted by AshleyAnne. Preparation and ingredients are different, but credit for the concept should be given to her! I came home at lunch and added the vegetables into the crock pot so they did not overcook. If you cannot do this, leave the potatoes whole so they take longer to cook through.
- 2 lbs boneless beef roast (I prefer sirloin)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 15 baby carrots, whole
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Remove roast from freezer, and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place roast in a crock pot.
- Add chopped onion.
- Add can of beef broth.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Add other vegetables half way through cooking. Add water to better cover the vegetables if necessary.
- Remove vegetables and roast from crock pot and reserve broth.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet on medium.
- Add flour and cook for two minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved broth and bring to a boil. Cooking into smooth and thickened.
- Add sour cream, salt and pepper and heat through.
- Serve with roast and vegetables.