Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My version of Pepper Steak, compiled from several different recipes on the web and adjusted to taste and what I had in the fridge! This is a "runnier" version as opposed to a thicker sauce, it's great for dunking! Nice winter comfort food on a cold day.
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced in rings
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Cut chuck steak into julienned strips, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and saute with the chopped garlic and pepper flakes in the tablespoon of olive oil until lightly browned.
- Transfer the chuck steak to a large crock pot.
- Mix the 3 tablespoons of flour with the beef broth and pour on top of meat.
- Add the Teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato and brown sugar.
- Stir well and cook on high for two hours.
- After two hours of cooking on high, add the onion and peppers, turn heat down to low and cook for an additional 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve over rice or buttered egg noodles.
Tastes like an old favorite from a now-closed Chinese restaurant. This is easy and good. I didn't have time to add the peppers late, so I just dumped it all in at the same time and it was great. Also had to use canned diced tomatoes (well-drained) and added a tad of ginger. I also cut the teriyaki sauce in half, added a little soy sauce to make up for it, and used a half package of Splenda instead of brown sugar. The sauce is delicious on rice. Will definitely make over and over again! Thanks for sharing this one!
This pepper steak is terrific! I used round steak because it's what I had and I added fresh grated gingeroot to the sauce. I diced my onion and put it in with the tomatoes and used a little more brown sugar than called for. I took the skins off my tomatoes before dicing them (I used 2 large) ,so the peels wouldn't be in the gravy. I added more red pepper flakes and added a can of drained water chestnuts in with the bell peppers (I used red, green and yellow peppers). I also added in some sesame oil. I loved using teriyaki sauce and Worcestershire sauce-it was so tasty! I served it over steamed jasmine rice with egg rolls on the side. The thinner sauce was not a problem-it was great because the rice soaked up all the wonderful juices! Thank you ! I think this will replace my other pepper steak recipe! I would give more stars if I could. The cooking time is perfect and that's not the case with so many recipes! If you try this, you will not be disappointed!
This pepper steak is the best....wonderful flavor and I loved the fact that it is made in the crock pot....how easy is that! I loved the fact that the sauce was thinner, because as you mentioned, it is fabulous for dipping crusty bread in it. What a wonderful meal we had. Thank you so much, Denise!