Steak with Caramelized Onions
photo by Juju Bee
- Ready In:
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- In a medium skillet melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Cook, covered, for 13-15 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add brown sugar and salt.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile, cut meat into 4 serving-size pieces.
- Sprinkle pepper on both sides of each meat piece.
- Place on the unheated rack of a boiler pan.
- Broil 3 inches from the heat to desired doneness, turning once.
- (Allow 10-12 minutes for medium rare.) Stir vinegar into onions.
- Spoon onion mixture over steak.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great recipe! Easy to halve for one person (i am allergic to onions and hubby loves them) My husband went nuts over these onions and started eating them out of the skillet! He had them on his steak, his potatoes, his garlic bread... everything he could! I will definitely make this all the time. I used sweet onions so I did reduce the brown sugar.
Wow...this is fantastic and so easy! We made the steak on the grill but then added the onions to the platter after the steaks were grilled. Delicious! The aroma in the house made you want to eat the onions right out of the pan! I can see these onions being very versitile, as other reviewers said. I put them on my mashed potatoes and think they would be great on just about anything! Thank you!
see 3 more reviews