Prep 10 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This makes a wonderful Sunday dinner
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 8 red potatoes
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, whole
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
- chopped parsley
- In slow cooker, place potatoes, carrots and garlic. Rub beef roast with rosemary, salt and pepper; place on top of vegetables. Add water and wine. Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 11 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Remove pot roast; trim fat if necessary. Arrange pot roast and vegetables on serving platter. Cover and keep warm. Just before serving, carve port roast across the grain into thin slices.
- For gravy, strain cooking liquid; skim off fat. In small saucepan, combine 2 cups cooking liquid and cornstarch mixture until blended. Cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
- Garnish beef and vegetables with parsley; serve with gravy.
I was not inprest with this dish I thought it had no flavor to it, greasy, and dry. I followed the directions to the T. I feel that it could have used more water and I think adding some onions to it would make the meet tast better and more tender.
Doing this with no stars at this point as this is the first time using a new crock pot. Set for 10 hours but luckily I checked at 6 as it was well cooked and the veges were tender (turned off as I could not put onto warm as the crock pot is digital and only goes into that function automatically after cooking time) and about an hour before wanting the serve turned back on to warm through. The roast was pull apart tender though a tad dry (would have been great to serve on rolls with lots of gravy or some sauce, unfortunately we don't care for the gravy the crockpot produces). The crock pot concerned is a Morphy Richards Digital Slow Cooker 6.5L oval shape. Will definately give another go but set for 5 1/2 hours. Thank you Dacer^.
A very nice roast. The rosemary added just the right amount of flavor. This is a nice change from the traditional Roast we are all used too! Thanks so much!!!