Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Delicious comfort food.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 lbs kielbasa (2 kielbasa)
- 2 (32 ounce) packages sauerkraut
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider
- Slice 1 onion into thin strips and caramelize.
- Drain and rinse sauerkraut.
- Slice kielbasa into 1-inch lengths.
- Combine water, cider and brown sugar.
- Combine all ingredients well in crock pot.
- Cook on high 6 hours.
Made this recipe substituting 1 cup fresh cut apples in place of cider. It turned out beautifully. Thanks for this great recipe. I tasted it at a party and had to have it. I was going to fly at the seat of my pants with it and I'm so glad I checked on this site first. Thanks Queen! Definitely a keeper.
My uncle made this for Christmas Eve...I don't even like kielbasa and I HATE sauerkraut but this was absolutely incredible. He used fresh kielbasa from a butcher and I think the draining/rinsing the sauerkraut so it's not so bitter did the trick. He also added an apple (I assume small diced) and a dash of worcestershire. MUST TRY this recipe!
You can't beat crock pot cooking. Throw everything into the crock pot and come home to a yummy meal. I scaled this recipe to 4 servings, and followed the recipe as written. Easy and delicious. Made for Jan 2010 Comfort Cafe.