Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is so easy and quick it's almost embarrassing and the flavor is supurb.It's not too heavily flavored in any one direction so you can go anywhere with it when you use it.You'll never go back to canned sauce.
- (Gallon cans of Tomatoes are available at small restaurant supplys that are "wholesale, open to the public" They will cost a lot less than retail.) Place Tomatoes in pot set on high.
- Heat a large pan over med-high heat, add Oil.
- Saute (stir fry) Onions for 5 min.
- Add Garlic, Celery, Carrots, and Bay leaves saute for another 5-10 min. 'til tender. Add to pot.
- Salt and Pepper 'til it's almost "right", stir well, cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5-6 hours.
- Remove Bay leaves and adjust seasoning.
- If it is too acidic add Butter, 1 TBS at a time, stir well and retaste.
- Continue to add, stir, and taste'til it's to your liking. This is much better than adding sugar!
- Ladle a blender 3/4 full, Process 'til smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and continue with remaining sauce.
- This sauce will be about the consistency of store bought.
- If you wish it thicker, return to pot and cook on low, uncovered, stirring frequintly to keep the surface from turning dark.
- When satisfied allow to cool completely, ladle 2 cup servings into plastic freezer bags.
- Frozen it will keep up to 6 months. (I don't know if this is true, I've never kept any that long.).