Recipe by Katha
Great when company's coming & you have a busy day ahead.All can be done the night before & started in the morning. Great served with buttered boiled red potatoes.
Top Review by Hesster
Made this today in my 6 quart pot. I did have to make some changes, though. I didn't have time to brown the meat and I don't like onions, so I left that out. I also didn't have any caraway, so substituted cumin instead. In an effort to make it lighter on the calories, I drained the sauerkraut juice into the pot and cooked the ribs on low for about 5 hours, then drained off the liquid and fat. I mixed the applesauce (unsweetened) and sauerkraut together, along with some salt and pepper and mixed it in with the meat. Then I mixed the chicken broth and sugar together and poured it over the top and cooked for another 4 hours. The result was lightly sweet and sour sauerkraut with moist, tangy meat. Next time I'll brown the meat for looks, but it wasn't really necessary.
- 907.18-1360.77 g country-style pork ribs
- 680.38 g sauerkraut (rinsed & Draned()
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml apple cider (can use apple sauce)
- 177.44 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 4.92-9.85 ml caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ribs in a small amount of oil.
- Remove from pan.
- Add onion & brown sugar to pan,and cook until onion is lightly browned.
- Combine onion mixture with sauerkraut in the crock pot.
- Add cider,broth,caraway seed & pepper.
- Place ribs on top of mixture.
- Cover & cook on low 8-10 hours.