Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an adopted recipe. Directions refer to a "bread insert." If you don't have the manufacturer's baking insert with a lid, you can use an 2 pound metal coffee can. Use a double thickness of paper towels as a can cover.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups zucchini, pureed or blended
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Cream sugar and shortening in mixer, beat in eggs one at a time, add vanilla. Add everything else and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased crock pot bread insert. Cook 3 hours on high, or until the bread tests done with a wooden pick.
- Let stand until it's medium cool to the touch before unmolding. Serve with butter. You can also dust the bread with powdered sugar.
- Possible modifications: no cocoa; substitute 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg for cocoa; substitute 1 cup brown sugar for the white sugar.
We followed others suggestions and used the crock pot and it worked very well. We loved the bread. It sure didn't last long around here!
Oh my heavens! This is so good and easy! I, too, made it directly in my crockpot after spraying well. Eveyone loved it! Thanks!
This was a really soft and tasty chocolate recipe. I replaced the shortening with butter, put the whole thing in my crock pot after spraying it with PAM because I didn't have the baking insert or a coffee can, and lastly I put a toothe pick under the lid to let the steam out and away from the bread. I will make this again for sure.