Blue Ribbon Zucchini Nut Bread
This is the best Zucchini Nut Bread I have ever had and the only one I will make. It's from "Country Fair Cookbook" All recipes in this book are Blue Ribbon winners from fairs around America prior to it's publication in 1975. Wrap and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavor to mellow. I have also made this as muffins. Just lower the temperature. Now that I live in Australia I make this using the Aussie measuring cups and spoons and it turns out fine. I've also made it with half carrot and half zucchini. And other times I've used half wholewheat flour and half plain, just for a change and it works well too. My husband loves it and says it's more like a cake then a bread since it's so moist.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3 cups sifted plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated unpared zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift together plain flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Beat eggs well.
- Gradually add sugar and oil, beat together well.
- Add vanilla and dry ingredients from above blend well.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Combine walnuts and 1 tsp of flour, stir this into the batter.
- Pour batter between two 2 greased (I use baking paper) 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" loaf tins.
- Bake for 1 hour or till tests done (skewer poked in the middle comes out clean).
- Cool in tins on racks for 10 minutes before removing from tins, cool on racks.