A favorite for over 30 years in my house! I don't remember where I got the original, but I have altered it for the crock pot. For stove top, simply increase water to 2 cups.
- Cut pork in 1/2 inch cubes.
- Dredge pork in flour.
- Heat shortening in fry pan, brown pork well.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until soft.
- Put pork mixture, tomatoes, chiles, oregano, salt and water in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or until pork will break apart with a fork.
- Serve in bowls with grated cheddar or Jack cheese on top, or wrap 1/2 Cup with cheese and refried beans in a 10" flour tortilla.
Wonderful, flavorful chili! I don't care for onions so left them out and added an extra clove of garlic. This is already a healthy soup, but I lightened it up a bit more by replacing half of the pork with sliced zucchini. Hearty and great flavor - thanks for sharing the recipe!