1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
8 hrs 20 mins
Columbus Foodie's Note:
There was a little restaurant in Lewis Center, OH called Nacho Mama's that had the best chicken tortilla soup I ever tasted. When it went out of business, I had to find out how to reproduce it - once I did, I slowly improved on the recipe until I made it my own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets taco seasoning
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel or similar)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- cumin, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1Empty the the taco seasoning packets into a plastic bag, and place the chicken in the bag and shake to coat the chicken with the taco seasoning.
- 2On a contact grill, grill the chicken until fully cooked, about 7 minutes.
- 3While the chicken is grilling, saute the onion and garlic in a pan with the olive oil, until softened.
- 4Sliced the chicken into 1/2 inch slices and place it into the crock pot along with the onions and garlic.
- 5Place the following ingredients in the crock pot in this order: chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, and lime juice.
- 6Add cumin, salt, and chili powder to taste. Experiment with what your preferences are, being sure to remember that the flavor will deepen and intensify as the soup cooks. In other words, the final result will be stronger, so go light on the seasonings if you don't like it spicy.
- 7Cook on high for about 6-8 hours, or low for 10-12 hours.
- 8To assemble the final product, in a shallow bowl, place tortilla strips on the bottom, and then spoon the soup over top. Finish with your choice of garnish, all are recommended for the best taste.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.8
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.1 mg
- Sodium 1325.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 32.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pico de gallo
corn tortilla strips