Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Posted in response to a request, chicken pieces in a Hungarian-style paprika and sour cream sauce. The source is unknown. NOTE: Although the recipe did not indicate, I would remove the skin from the chicken before cooking.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 -5 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 cup canned tomato
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Put the water, chicken, tomatoes, green pepper, onion, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano into the crock pot.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken pieces from the crock pot and skim fat from the remaining sauce.
- Remove 1/4 cup liquid from the crock pot and allow to cool a bit.
- Blend flour with the 1/4 cup cooled juices and return the flour mixture to the liquid in the crock pot.
- Mix well and stir until thickened.
- Blend in sour cream.
- Return chicken to the pot and allow to heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve on cooked noodles if desired.
Real Hungarian Chicken Paprikash does not contain the following: Garlic, tomatoes, green peppers, oregano or flour. It only contains, onion, oil, paprika, pepper, salt, chicken, water and sour cream. Served on dumplings or wide noodles.
I found this rather on the bland side and I was so looking forward to it. I bought a brand new bottle of smoked paprika specifically to try this and was rather disappointed in the outcome.
I'm sorry for the poor review, but my family just really didn't care for this dish. It was easy to make and smelled lovely, but we found the flavor to be somewhat lacking and had to add salsa just to make up for the flavor. I don't think I'll make this again. Sorry.