Recipe by Rita~
For all you crock pot lovers! A time saver You can pre make the roux!
Top Review by Momma Vickie
I made this last night and it turned out delicious!!! My sweet hubby normally makes his from scratch on the stove, and it's very good. Last night though he told me that the gumbo making is now my job...lol...so he definitely gave it 5 stars! :) This was also my first attempt at ever making gumbo, so anybody out there can do this! :) I've always been intimidated by the roux, but it was so easy! I'm a Louisiana girl as well, so this was every bit Louisiana as New Orleans is...lol...For me it was spicy enough. Probably because of the sausage I used along with the cayenne pepper I added. I also added crawfish since we were out of shrimp! :) Soooo good. Having the leftovers for dinner tonight after church! Can't wait to see how good it tastes after it sits in the fridge!
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced & browned
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole okra, partially thawed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- For the roux, in a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together the flour and oil until smooth.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish-brown roux forms.
- In a 5-quart crockery cooker place water.
- Stir in roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, sweet pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, can tomatoes, and ground red pepper.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours then add shrimp for 20 minutes.
- Skim off fat.
- Serve over the hot cooked rice.