Creole Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo #Ragu
photo by valdezjan
- Ready In:
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (24 ounce) Ragú® Pasta Sauce (old world style marinara sauce)
- 2 cups frozen cut okra, thawed
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the cooked bacon and set aside. Add the Italian sausage and smoked sausage. Cook for 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the sausages and set aside.
- Whisk the flour into the bacon grease. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the roux is golden brown. Add onion, green bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the creole seasoning, chicken stock, bay leaves, and Ragu Old World Style Marinara sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Add the cooked bacon, Italian sausage, and smoked sausage. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the okra and shrimp. Cook for 10 minutes, until the shrimp is fully cooked.
- Ladle the gumbo into bowls. Top each bowl with cooked rice, and garnish with green onions and cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!