Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings Comfort food! The secret to perfect dumplings is to not over mix the batter and to drop the batter onto very hot, bubbling liquid. That way the dumplings begin cooking immediately and don't get soggy.
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen baby peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- In a 3-4 quart crock pot, mix potato and carrots.
- In medium bowl, combine chicken broth, flour and spices and blend well until smooth.
- Pour over vegetables in crock pot.
- Add chicken.
- Cover crock pot.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center.
- Add peas and cover again.
- Cook on HIGH for 20 minutes until peas are hot.
- In small bowl, combine baking mix and milk and mix just until combined.
- Do not over mix.
- Drop by tablespoons onto hot chicken mixture in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 20-25 minutes until dumplings are cooked through, are fluffy, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This was a very easy recipe to make and the taste was exceptional! I did make a few adjustments and it turned out great. I added chopped celery with the veggies, more spices like bay leaf, marjoram, and savory, and omitted the peas. I also used boneless chicken breast because my family doesn't like the taste of chicken thighs, and added about 1 tbsp. of parsley to the dumpling mixture for a little color. I cooked this on high because I was in a hurry and it's a good thing that I did because it took about 5-6 hours for the veggies to be soft. I will definitely add this to my overflowing recipe collection. Thanks Rhonda! :)
This was really good and so easy. Had to make some modifications due to ingredients I had on hand. In place of fresh carrots I used frozen mixed vegetables that included the baby peas AND carrots. Used about 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of thighs. Used half and half instead of milk. Added 1/2 chopped onion and 2 stalks chopped celery with the potato. Added sprinke of dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning and two bay leaves to broth mix. Also doubled the chicken broth and that seemed to be a good amount of liquid to make perfect dumplings.
I doubled the liquid but the biscuits completely soaked up all the broth. If I were to make this again, I would triple the liquid but I think I will search for a different recipe.