Prep 40 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Comes from www.cookingcache.com/crockpotbeefstew.shtml Submitted there by Lisa C. My family raves about this & it is very simple & easy.
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 large carrots
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 cup condensed beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 large onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Layer potatoes, then carrots. Top with meat; sprinkle meat with soy sauce, salt, paprika, pepper and flour. Spread with chopped onions. Combine beef broth and tomato sauce; pour overall.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 4-5. (I have found that I usually have to put this on high for about 6-7 hours, not sure if it is just my crock pot).
- Instead of sprinkling the meat with soy sauce, salt, paprika, pepper and flour as the recipe says, I mix those all together in a bowl. This prevents the flour from becoming clumpy.
- Instead of chopped onion I use some of the small white boiling onions. I don't like onions but my husband does; these stay together pretty well and are easy for me to avoid.
- I tend to use baby carrots, I just find them easier to cut and don't have to peel them.
- I also like to add a couple dashes of cayenne pepper, it adds a zing.
- For the beef broth (I don't usually keep that on hand) I dissolve 1 beef bouillon cube into 1 cup boiling water.
- Lisa wrote that she sometimes will add about a 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce on the very top before she puts the cover on. Any variety, she says that adds an extra kick.
I was looking for a crock pot beef stew recipe and saw this one. I am so glad that I tried this one as it was REALLY good! I agree that blending the soy sauce ingredients decreases the flour lumpiness. Good idea! I also used barbecue Sauce and agree that that was also a good idea. This time around I am adding corn and peas this time and will see how that works out. Our crock pot cooked this recipe in 7-8 hours on low.