Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
An all-in-one meal that's easy to make and a huge pleaser. I got this recipe from a friend's mother.
- 1 corned beef brisket
- 1 quart apple juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 8 small red potatoes
- 2 medium carrots, pared, and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled, and cut into eighths
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, cut into chunks
- Place all ingredients in a large crock pot (cut meat in half if necessary); stir to mix.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove meat and vegetables and some of the cooking liquid.
- Slice meat thinly across the grain.
- Serve with vegetables and some of the liquid.
I confess; I didn't make this recipe...but I stole an idea from it and I think the recipe deserves some credit! I made corned beef for dinner on St. Paddy's Day (March 17/02 - part of our Zaar Go Irish-Go Green cook-a-thon) and, thanks to reading this recipe, I added apple juice and brown sugar to the water I cooked the corned beef in. Excellent! Mirjam, I will try this slow-cooker recipe in the future, but I wanted you to know that those 2 ingredients were just super additions and I never would have thought of using them if I hadn't had this recipe in My Cookbook!
INCREDIBLE FLAVOR!!!! I used about 1/2 a bag of baby carrots and can see that I will have to add a full bag, my kids were picking through the dish to get at the carrots (they are reminiscent of the brown sugar butter carrots my mom made when I was a kid). At my husbands request I took about 1 1/2 cups of the juices from the crock pot and made a gravy which turned out to be very good. I look forward to making this again and again.
My Irish hubby was in heaven after making this. The smell is incredible. I took another reviewer's suggestion and added more carrots, was glad I did. We gobbled the carrots down first. Thanks for a great recipe.