Chef #665035's Note:
Grandma would make this as a side dish for dinner and half of it would be gone before meal time. She made it with economical ground beef, but I add in some ground pork for extra flavor. Because this version has more meat in the packaging than regualr tiny, flower-shaped ones from the Chinese restaurant, the meat mixture is SLIGHTLY precooked; remember that you will also be deep-frying afterwards so don't over cook meat mixture. Feel free to add/change/delete ingredients to your liking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 lb shrimp, cut into 1/8-inch pieces
- 10 water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cups oil
- 1 egg white, in seperate bowl for sealing wonton wrappers
- 1Combine beef, pork, chestnuts, green onion, ginger, cornstarch, soysauce,and salt in a large bowl; mix well.
- 2In a large dutch oven or deep pan, add 1 teaspoon oil and fry meat mixture until meat is half way cooked or lightly pink.
- 3Remove from heat, drain, and allow to cool.
- 4Scoop cooled meat mixture into the center of wonton wrapper. Allow 1/2-inch on each side.
- 5Dip finger in egg white and seal all four sides of wrapper.
- 6Put one small piece of shrimp on top of meat mixture.
- 7Fold wrapper into a triangle; press firmly to remove air pockets.
- 8Heat rest of oil in large pot over medium-high heat to 375 degrees.
- 9Deep fry a few wontons at a time, 2 to 3 minutes, turing if necessary until brown and crispy.
- 10Drain on paper towels.
- 11Serve with catsup and worshishtishire combined, or other bottled sauce.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Wontons
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1557.7
- Calories from Fat 1198
- Total Fat 133.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 269.0 mg
- Sodium 1081.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 54.7 g