Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
"Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry" This recipe is an example of a layered Persian tah-dig dish. I developed an interest in Persian foods while surfing the internet. I was amazed at how many ways this rice dish can be prepared. I experimented and put my on spin to this dish. I usually prepare this dish in my Persian rice cooker. However, this recipe was prepared in a 13 inch non-stick skillet.
- 591.47 ml jasmine rice
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 peeled and thinly sliced sweet potato
- 3 egg yolks
- 354.88 ml plain Greek yogurt
- 141.74 g container peach Greek yogurt
- 340.19 g jarsweet mango chutney
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh chives
- 14.79 ml lemon zest
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml powdered saffron
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 28.34 g package Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 88.74 ml chicken stock
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- In a skillet, cover the chicken breasts, shallots, lemon juice, and turmeric with water. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce temperature and simmer for one hour. Reserve the stock. Cool and cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Wash and drain the rice. Bring six cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric to a boil in a large pot. Add rice and boil uncovered for ten minutes. Drain and rinse the rice in cool water.
- In a food processor, combine yogurt, egg yolks, Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning Mix, lemon zest, chives, salt, and pepper. Process for 30 seconds or until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add 2 cups of the rice to the yogurt mixture. Process for 15- 20 seconds.
- Dissolve the saffron into 3 tablespoons of the chicken stock.
- Lightly brush one side of the sweet potato slices with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cover the bottom of a large non-stick skillet with two tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of the saffron mixture. Layer 2/3 of the rice and yogurt mixture in the bottom of the pan. Line the edges of the pan with the sweet potatoes.
- Layer the chicken on top of the mixture. Spoon on the rest of the yogurt mixture. Spread it as evenly as possible. Add the remaining rice. Flatten the rice with the back of a spoon. Combine three tablespoons of chicken stock with the remaining saffron mixture. Drizzle over the top of the rice layer.
- Cook covered on medium heat until it begins to steam. Reduce temperature to low and cook for one hour. Cool, then place a large plate over the top of the pan. Carefully invert the pan. Garnish as desired. Top with a dollop of Greek peach on the bottom yogurt and sweet mango chutney.
I could not stop eating this amazing dish! The burst of flavor mixed with the chicken was spot on! Another great recipe by Miss. Fannie!