Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
An 1111 Mississippi Restaurant recipe for two.
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sliced shallot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black sesame seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste (sambal oelek)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
For trout and rice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- ground black pepper
- 2 butterflied skin-on rainbow trout (easier to handle if cut into 4 fillets)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked basmati rice, cooled
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon butter
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- To prepare vinaigrette:> Combine cilantro, green onions, ginger, shallots, garlic, sesame seeds, chile paste, honey, vinegar, soy sauce and oil in a medium bowl; whisk to mix well. Set aside. Vinaigrette can be prepared ahead to enhance flavors; whisk before serving. (Makes about 1 1/2 cups.).
- To prepare trout and rice: Stir together flour, cornstarch, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Dip trout in flour mixture, coating lightly but completely.
- Heat about 1/8 inch oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; when oil is hot, add trout, skin side down, and fry about 2 minutes. Turn and fry about 2 minutes more, until cooked through.
- While fish is cooking, in a second skillet, combine rice, basil, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper to taste and butter; cook and stir until hot, about 5 minutes. Mound the rice mixture in the center of 2 serving plates, creating as much height as possible. Arrange trout on top of rice. Ladle vinaigrette around rice; garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any remaining vinaigrette for later use.