Recipe by Julie B's Hive
"The Chinese carefully select vegetables to achieve a harmonious balance of contrasting colors and textures. Once you have chopped the vegetables, this dish is quick and easy to put together, and makes an attractive and nutritious meal." Ethnic Cuisine.
Top Review by Sarah in New York
This is a very good recipe! It's not super full of flavors. It lets the veges have their way. The blend of the vege flavor is what makes this good, not so much the sauce! I thought it was great! I made this for ZWT 4 - More vegetables stirfry challege. I used: Beans, Carrots, Yellow Squash, Red Peppers and Broccoli. Thanks for posting!
- peanut oil or sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 4 ounces rice vermicelli, broken into 3-inch lengths
- 3⁄4 cup green beans, cut into short lengths
- 2 carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 2 zucchini, cut into thin sticks
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, shredded
- 1⁄2 head napa cabbage, shredded
- 4 scallions, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bean sprout
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Half-fill a preheated wok or deep, heavy-bottom skillet with oil. Heat to 350°.
- Add the noodles, in batches, and cook for 30 seconds, or until crisp and puffed up. Remove with tongs, then drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the wok.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok over high heat. Add the green beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot and zucchini sticks, mushrooms, and ginger and stir-fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the Napa cabbage, scallions, and bean sprouts and stir-fry for an additional minute.
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add noodles and cilantro and toss well. Serve immediately.
- HERE'S A CHEF'S TIP:.
- The dish also looks attractive if you serve the noodles in a small nest on top of the stir-fried vegetables, rather than tossing them with the vegetables in step 7.