1/1 Photo of Crevettes With Feta and Tomato Sauce
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Greek chef and restaurateur Theodore Kyriakou (widely considered to be the finest Greek chef in Britain) tells us that "As soon as the first warm sunshine comes after winter and the restaurants start to put tables outside, this is their star dish.... As with most prawn dishes, you should start with the largest, freshest prawns you can buy. Fresh prawns are glossy, they smell of the sea without a hint of ammonia and do not need rinsing." This recipe is from ‘real Greek food’, which Theodore Kyriakou co-authored with food writer Charles Campion. I am posting it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. You may want to use Theodore Kyriakou's Tomato Sauce Theodore Kyriakou's Tomato Sauce, when making this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- 2Pour the tomato sauce into a large flat oven dish and pour the tomato sauce into it, scatter the feta on top and put it into the oven for 5 minutes until the feta begins to melt.
- 3Heat 25 ml (just short of 1 tablespoon) of olive oil in a frying pan, add the spring onions, garlic and thyme; and gently sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft, then stir them into the tomato sauce in the oven dish. Return the dish to the oven to keep warm.
- 4Put the pan back on the heat, add the remaining olive oil and sear the crevettes (or prawns) for 2 or 3 minutes. Then flame the pan with the Ouzo.
- 5When the flames have died down, add the crevettes and the pan juices to the oven dish full of tomato sauce. Season with black pepper and mix everything together and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes to allow the flavours to amalgamate.
- 6Remove the dish from the oven, and pour the extra virgin olive oil over the top.
- 7Allow the dish to cool a little before serving so that it can be eaten by hand with crisp bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crevettes With Feta and Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.0
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 92.1 mg
- Sodium 1736.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: