Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Not vegan, but vegetarian. From a blog called "Low Fat Vegan Kitchen" by Susan V. Jackson. Vegetable broth may be subbed for the 5 cups of water for a richer flavor. Prep time does not include overnight soaking for the peas.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, picked over and rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- Soak the peas overnight in cold water. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot. Add onion, pepper, and celery, sweat over low heat until softened.
- Stir in garlic, continue stirring until garlic releases it's aroma.
- Add all remaining ingredients except liquid smoke to the pot, along with enough additional water to cover the peas by one inch. Cook until peas are completely tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, adding more water as necessary. When they're tender, add the Liquid Smoke, cook for 5 more minutes, and serve over rice.