Low Fat Creole Style Black Eyed Peas
photo by Engrossed
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- HEAT 2 1/2 cups water and dried black-eyed peas; once at FULL BOIL, continue boil for two minutes, REMOVE from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Then DRAIN whatever water remains and allow peas to sit uncovered.
- In another saucepan, COMBINE 1 cup water, chicken broth, finely diced onion, finely diced celery, parsley and 2 cans (400g)/3 1/2 cups Diced Italian Tomatoes in juice, mustard, chilli pepper, ginger, black pepper and bay leaves; Bring to a BOIL.
- ADD cooked black-eyed peas.
- COVER and simmer on LOW for 1 hour and 45 minutes; STIR occasionally; If liquid is evaporating too quickly, you can add more water to make sure peas are covered with tomato/water mixture.
- NOTE: Is well worth the time to make and freezes WELL!
- NOTE: Remove Bay leaves before serving.
- NOTE: If canned tomatoes do not contain seasoning such as dry Italian seasoning, would suggest you add about 1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning, but is personal preference.
- NOTE: I serve in tortilla wrap with rocket, feta and Golden Door Recipe - Chilli Sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WONDERFUL! I made this as directed and didn't miss the bacon at all! This was very flavorful and full of fiber. I enjoyed it by itself and wrapped in whole grain tortillas with a little bit of low fat cheese and salsa. YUM! Freddy Cat says hi to his Auntie Mickey! Made for Recipe Swap #14, thanks for inviting us!
Yumm, this turned out super. I added some red chili flakes as well, just 'cause we like spicy foods. This did take some time to make, but most of it is passive cooking. Worked out well to have the pot stewing away while I cleaned the house on a Sunday afternoon. The flavors are delicious. I froze half of the beans and look forward to eating them soon. Thanks for posting this recipe, we enjoyed it quite a bit.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>G'day! I'm 51, married, born and bred in NY, am now an Aussie who calls Australia home! I love animals, nature, reading, entering competitions and consider myself S-P-O-N-T-A-N-E-O-U-S and B-U-B-B-L-Y in my personality! I am quite FASCINATED with people and things U-N-I-Q-U-E, JUST like ME! I am VERY P-A-S-S-I-O-N-A-T-E about cooking and trying recipes from all world cusines! I LOVE to eat and enjoy our South Australian red wine! :)I have started a Home Cook blog which I am EXTREMELY P-A-S-S-I-O-N-A-T-E about called What's On The List? and I hope to be able to inspire people around the world one recipe and one event at a time too! http://whatsonthelist.net So come on over and please let me know what you think too!WHOO HOO WHOO HOO!</p>