Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I seen this on the Food Network Pie Championship and wanted to see if I could copy it. I tested them all on my Creme Brulee loving husband and he told me I had found the perfect one in this one. I hope you agree.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 2⁄3 cups heavy cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- dulce de leche (I use Dulce De Leche Sauce) (optional)
- 1 (9 inch) baked pastry shells, cooled. (I have used graham cracker crust too)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- If using Duce De Leche Sauce prepare it and pour into pie crust.
- Beat cornstarch and cream in heavy saucepan until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks.
- Continue stirring until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour Creme Brulee into prepared pastry shell and chill for two hours or more.
- Spread sugar over pie and brown in broiler for 5-10 minutes--keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
I love creme br?l?e and this pie taste the same but it is so much easier to make. I did not use the Dulce de leche and it turned out fantastic. I used a deep dish pie crust not a regular pie crust. I will be making this again! Defiantly a family favorite!
Made this for our fathers day celebration. This recipe had very favorable reviews at the Food Network site. After making and adding the Dulce de leche sauce made from this site, Dulce De Leche, the pie was a great sucess. Very delcicious and easy to make. My husband used his torch that he takes camping to caramelize the sugar topping. One tip, for best results caramelize the sugar topping right before serving. A must try.
This was OK for us. I felt like it was missing something ~ I did not use the dulce de leche so that might have been the problem. It was rather bland for us. Thanks for posting!