Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a sweet Filipino cake recipe that's usually served during Fiestas. It's a delicious recipe that leaves no leftovers during celebrations and still makes your crave for more.I've also tried substitute sugar here after it's cooked and it's still good. Note: Recipezaar doesn't make me post properly at the left side the proper amount of ingredients hence I had to put it at the right side. glazed gelatin mixture calls for: 2 packets of unflavored gelatin.
- 250 g ladyfingers
- 16 ounces canned fruit cocktail, drained and set aside juice for the gelatin mixture
for the Custard Filling
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
Gelatin glazed topping
- 3 ounces unflavored gelatin (2 packets)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fruit cocktail syrup
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Custard Filling:.
- Combine and stir constarntly sugar, flour, yolks, milk 1/2 cup water in a saucepan (waterbath when heated so it doesn't get burnt) until it thickens and becomes creamy (about 10-15mins). Make sure there are no lumps.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Gelatin glazed topping:.
- Mix last 5 ingredients in a saucepan, heating and mixing for 5-10mins until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- To assemble:.
- Arrange ladyfingers side by side in a single layer on top of a medium sized pyrex dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the custard filling on top of first layer making sure to even it out.
- Arrange1/2 canned fruits on top of custard.
- Repeat layering: ladyfingers, then custard, then fruits.
- Pour gelatin mixture on top of the final layer ; completely covering the fruits if possible.
- Chill in the fridge until the gelatin is set.
I use this recipe too but I like using graham crackers instead of the lady fingers. and I reduce the amount of sugar so it's not too sweet. Anyway, you can really play with this recipe to suit your taste and it's very easy to make. Looks good, too.
This was so rich and creamy. I like the recipe because of the use of fruit cocktail. Something I eat every week by itself. Now I have a new recipe to use my fruit cocktail with. I made this and shared with my family and everyone just loved it and wanted the recipe for it. Thanks so much for the awesome recipe..
A very nice recipe indeed. A very easy recipe to put together and it looks so fantastic when serving. I wasnt sure what fruit coktail was, so I used a tropical fruit saIad and also made the custard in my microwave and used a stick blender every so often to blend it, and when custard was quite warm I set the microwave to half power to fisnish the custard and blended again and the custard was perfect (and no lumps!) Everyone loved it here and I have some left for tomorrow, but next time I am going serve with a side of whipped cream! sshhhh!! Wonderful recipe Pneuma, will be making again. Thank You.