1/1 Photo of Creamy Tomato Basil Soup (Oamc)
1 hr 5 mins
A delicious creamy tomato soup you cannot resist! From the book Don’t Panic More Dinner’s in the Freezer, this can be made ahead and frozen if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1Combine onions, celery, basil, bay leaf and tomatoes in a stock pot. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- 2Remove bay leaf. Purée tomato mixture in a blender and then strain through a fine sieve or colander.
- 3Return tomato mixture to stockpot.
- 4In a small mixing bowl, blend flour and melted butter into a smooth paste, then add a small amount of the tomato mixture. Stir until smooth.
- 5Gradually add the flour mixture to the stockpot, stirring continuously to avoid scorching and lumps.
- 6Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- 7If freezing ahead: Cool completely. Freeze in a gallon size freezer bag. Serving day: Thaw completely. Reheat soup in stockpot, adding milk and baking soda. Heat through but do not boil.
- 8If serving immediately: add 2 cups nonfat milk and 1 t baking soda. Stir until well mixed then serve.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.3
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 828.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g