Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious creamy tomato soup you cannot resist! From the book Don’t Panic More Dinner’s in the Freezer, this can be made ahead and frozen if desired.
- Combine onions, celery, basil, bay leaf and tomatoes in a stock pot. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Purée tomato mixture in a blender and then strain through a fine sieve or colander.
- Return tomato mixture to stockpot.
- In a small mixing bowl, blend flour and melted butter into a smooth paste, then add a small amount of the tomato mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the stockpot, stirring continuously to avoid scorching and lumps.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- If freezing ahead: Cool completely. Freeze in a gallon size freezer bag. Serving day: Thaw completely. Reheat soup in stockpot, adding milk and baking soda. Heat through but do not boil.
- If serving immediately: add 2 cups nonfat milk and 1 t baking soda. Stir until well mixed then serve.
Hi There, I think this soup is very very nice when it was made I asked DH to come and taste for seasoning, it was so funny he just looked at me and said THIS IS GOOD NO I MEAN REALLY REALLY GOOD, it was just the way he said it. The seasoning was on the spot and I loved the way it changed when you put the milk and b/s in. I split it in two lots and froze the other half for an other day. I have a feeling that I will be making it quite a lot. Sorry the picture could of been better but DH was rushing me. Very Inventive thank you for posting, Made for PAC Spring 2010
This recipe made a tasty soup that is healthful and easy to throw together. It's very similar to a higher-fat version from the deli counter at my grocer's, so I was pleased to find it here! I'll confess to an experiment with this: I divided the cooking day concentrate into 2 parts, made half as directed and the other part added half & half instead of skim milk...mmmmm. Since I cook for two at home (usually), what I have is a great light lunch option and a delicious creamy dinner soup as well. Thanks again, Rottmom! Made for PAC Fall 09