A delicious creamy tomato soup you cannot resist! From the book Don’t Panic More Dinner’s in the Freezer, this can be made ahead and frozen if desired.
- Combine onions, celery, basil, bay leaf and tomatoes in a stock pot. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Purée tomato mixture in a blender and then strain through a fine sieve or colander.
- Return tomato mixture to stockpot.
- In a small mixing bowl, blend flour and melted butter into a smooth paste, then add a small amount of the tomato mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the stockpot, stirring continuously to avoid scorching and lumps.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- If freezing ahead: Cool completely. Freeze in a gallon size freezer bag. Serving day: Thaw completely. Reheat soup in stockpot, adding milk and baking soda. Heat through but do not boil.
- If serving immediately: add 2 cups nonfat milk and 1 t baking soda. Stir until well mixed then serve.