Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I never ate at La Madalaine's... but I used to serve this soup at my restaurant. I served it once as a lunch special with grilled cheese sandwiches made with Havarti cheese on sourdough bread. I had so many requests afterwards that it became a regular special every Weds. A group of elderly ladies came every Weds. for the special and they got very angry with me when I tried to introduce something else. In respect for their health, I gradually modified the ingredients, and they never noticed.
- Peel the "strings" from the celery, then chop it along with the garlic and onion.
- Put everything except the cream in a pan and heat it to boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Puree all the ingredients in a blender (a little at a time) or with a hand held blender right in the pan.
- Add the cream and re-heat.
- Garnish with a few leaves of basil and serve!
We just finished eating this for supper and it was delicious! I started it this morning, made it up to the point of blending it, then put it in the fridge. When we were ready to eat, I blended it cold (no hot splatters) and added about 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese. I used fat-free half & half and also added a few red pepper flakes. This is going into my permanent file. Thanks for sharing!