Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Uncle Ben's flyer.
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons butter or 2 1⁄4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nutmeg, as needed
- cinnamon, as needed
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine rice, water and salt in 3-quart saucepan.
- Bring to a vigorous boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all water is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Add milk, sugar mixture and raisins to rice.
- Heat to boiling; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Slowly stir about 1 cup of the hot rice mixture into egg yolks in bowl.
- Stir into remaining mixture in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until mixture starts to bubble.
- Serve warm or chilled. Garnish with cinnamon and nutmeg.
I LOVED this!!! I've made a few homemade rice puddings and this is by far the best and I can't believe how easy it was to make! This is my new favourite rice pudding recipe!
I used brown rice, as it's the only kind I have in my house from now on. I also used Splenda for the sugar, and I added in the cinnamon and nutmeg (1/2 tsp. each) into the rice water when I was cooking it. It smelled so good while it was cooking I couldn't wait to have some! It turned out creamy and thick and so good! I topped mine with some FF Cool Whip and sat back and enjoyed every bite! Now I can have it with brown rice and not feel too guilty about having dessert! Thanks Redsie for this yummy dessert! I have a strange feeling me and this pudding will become best friends :) Linda
This was WONDERFUL! Who needs storebought when this is so much more flavorful, and so easy to make. I did mix the cinnamon in instead of using it as a garnish for personal preference, but YUM!! Will make again!