Prep 40 mins
Cook 27 mins
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart milk
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, add potatoes, celery, onion, water and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender; cool slightly.
- Place half of potato mixture in a blender; cover and puree.
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture; set aside.
- In same large pot, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add milk and bring to a boil.
- Boil and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Pour in potato puree and cook until heated thoroughly.
- Pour soup into individual serving bowls; garnish with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
Yummy! I added about a cup of cooked frozen peas with the potato puree - it was gone in thirty minutes!
Thick, creamy and yummy soup! I used 3 celery ribs and includes the leafy tops. Before pureeing, I set a little bit aside just to have a few chunks in the soup. I melted some of the cheese right in the soup as well as for garnish. Delicious! Thanx for a nice homey soup!