Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love serving this with baked pork chops. Make sure to use freshly grated Romano cheese. This is a great side dish for a romantic dinner for two.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; butter a 1 1/2 quart gratin dish.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in thyme.
- Remove skillet from heat, set aside.
- In medium saucepan, bring cream to boil.
- Stir in potatoes and cook 5 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- With slotted spoon, alternately layer potatoes, onion mixture and cheese in prepared dish.
- Drizzle any remaining cream mixture from pan over gratin.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
The sauteed onions and thyme really added a great flavor to these potatoes. These are company-worthy for sure. I made this as written but doubled the cheese. I'll make these again. Thanx!
I made these today and they were delicious. I substituted the heavy cream for soy silk creamer and the romano for soft feta. I will make this again.
We really liked these potatoes. They had great flavor. I added 3 galic cloves minced and some parsley for a bit of color and subbed parm cheese for romano, but other then that made as directed. Yummy!!