Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Plan ahead, this needs to chill for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight before serving. For a *chocolate* cheesecake; omit lemon juice, melt 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons butter in microwave, cool until almost room temperature then mix in with the cream cheese. You might also want to reduce the sugar by a couple of tablespoons. See *note* on the bottom for a graham crust.
- 1 lb chocolate sandwich style cookies (Oreo cookies work the best)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (can use 1-1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (or use 2/3 cup confectioners sugar)
- 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling (or use blueberry pie filling)
- Prepare a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or a 8 or 10-inch springform pan.
- In a processor process the cookies until finely crushed, then place in a bowl.
- Add in melted butter then mix until combined.
- Press into the bottom of the pan; chill or freeze while making the rest of the dessert.
- In a very chilled bowl using an electric mixer with chilled beaters beat the whipping cream until VERY thick.
- Place the whipped cream in the coldest part of the fridge and chill for 45 minutes.
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese with sugar, lemon juice and vanilla until smooth and no sugar granules remain.
- Using a spatula fold in the chilled whipped cream until well combined.
- Spread the mixture on top of the crust.
- Top with the cherry topping then refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- If using a springform pan remove the sides of the springform pan just before serving.
- *NOTE* for a graham crust; in a bowl mix together 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs with 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until combined; add in 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine.
- Press into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Chill or freeze until firm.