Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
For anyone who loves mushrooms, this dish is FANTASTIC!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 ounce dried shiitake mushroom
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup brandy (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- MAKE the Mushroom Stock- In a large saucepan over medium high heat warm the oil. Add the onion and saute until ightly browned, about 15 minutes Add the mushrooms, celery and peppercorns along with 2 1/5 quarts water. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Move from the heat and let stand for 1 hour. Strain into a bowl, pressing lightly on the solids to discard the liquid, hold solids separetly. Reserve 3 cups of stock and store the rest for later use in another recipe.
- COOK the soup- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat and add the butter and saute the shallot until translucent, about 2 minutes Add the cremini mushrooms, cover, and cook until juices are released, about 3 minutes Stir in the flour and cook, stirring until thoroughly, about 1 minute Pour in the reserved stock and brandy (if using). Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium. Simmer 15-20 minutes
- FINISH the soup- Transfer the soup and solids from making the stock to a blender and process until pureed. Add the cream and pulse twice. Transfer back to pot and simmer for another 10 minutes Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into boils, drizzle with cream and serve.