I have even added cooked ground beef and cooked cubed ham to this. Prep time does not include boiling the macaroni.
- 1 3⁄4 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9" baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender-firm (don't overcook) drain pasta.
- Transfer to a large bowl; add in 5 ounces of cubed cheese; mix until the cheese is melted and well blended.
- In another bowl combine the flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne and nutmeg until well blended; gradually whisk in the half and half, whipping cream and sour cream, then whisk in the eggs and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour over the macaroni; stir to blend.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan then spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake the macaroni until just set around edges but sauce is still liquid in the center (about 25 minutes, do not over bake).
- Remove from oven let stand for 10 minutes to thicken slightly (sauce will be creamy but will thicken up).