1/1 Photo of Creamy Macaroni Casserole
I have even added cooked ground beef and cooked cubed ham to this. Prep time does not include boiling the macaroni.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 2/3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1 1/3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 1/3 cups whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 13 x 9" baking dish.
- 3Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender-firm (don't overcook) drain pasta.
- 4Transfer to a large bowl; add in 5 ounces of cubed cheese; mix until the cheese is melted and well blended.
- 5In another bowl combine the flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne and nutmeg until well blended; gradually whisk in the half and half, whipping cream and sour cream, then whisk in the eggs and Worcestershire sauce.
- 6Pour over the macaroni; stir to blend.
- 7Transfer to prepared baking pan then spread evenly.
- 8Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- 9Bake the macaroni until just set around edges but sauce is still liquid in the center (about 25 minutes, do not over bake).
- 10Remove from oven let stand for 10 minutes to thicken slightly (sauce will be creamy but will thicken up).
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Macaroni Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.5
- Calories from Fat 405
- Total Fat 45.0 g
- Saturated Fat 27.6 g
- Cholesterol 193.6 mg
- Sodium 874.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 22.4 g