Prep 108 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Smoother and creamier version of the standard limoncello. This recipe comes from Gourmet. This needs to stay chilled and will keep for one month.. Make sure to note the prep time. This needs to sit for 4 days and needs to chill for a couple of hours before being served.
- Remove the zest from the lemons with a vegetable peeler (about 5 strips per lemon). The fruit can be put aside for another use. Make sure to scrape off any white pith from the zest.
- Soak zest in vodka for 4 days (room temperature).
- Strain vodka through a fine-meshed sieve, discarding the zest. Transfer vodka to a glass bottle (preferably 2 quart).
- Simmer milk and sugar over medium low heat, uncovered, until reduced to about 4 cups. Should be about 25-30 minutes.
- Skim off any foam.
- Cool sweetened milk completely and then add to vodka.
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Shake well before serving.
This is very different than the family recipe from Italy, but sounds good. Just be sure to use organic lemons and organic milk when making it.
I agree with previous reviewers - yummy! Used whole milk and Absolut vodka. The milk did take quite a bit of extra time to reduce, didn't want to push it by boiling, so I stood patiently nearby. When it was cool, I ran it through a strainer to get the last of the skin off (maybe due to whole milk?). Thanks, Kim127! Made for Went to Market tag.
Yum. Such a lovely creamy drink. I made only one serving. The milk didn't reduce very much for me but the drink was still delicious.