Recipe by 2Bleu
This is a wonderful and easy soup to make with a unique flavor of apples. Once you have everything prepped and ready, it comes together in a snap! Note: Calvados is a dry apple brandy made in the Normandy region of France.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I absolutely don't mind using something like Calvados in a recipe when I know that the alcohol will burn off leaving a great fruity flavor behind! Made this recipe exactly as given & we had an absolutely wonderful new way for me to make this kind of chicken soup! Definitely a winner & a keeper of a recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, including 1 inch of green cleaned and finely diced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons calvados (apple brandy)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 5 cups chicken broth (stock)
- 1 cup apple juice (or cider)
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chives (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Add leeks and Granny Smith apple, cover and simmer until tender, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Calvados and reduce until almost evaporated. Stir in the cider vinegar, broth, apple cider and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and egg noodles to the broth, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream, Gruyere and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.