Recipe by *OzMan*
Here is a flavorful chicken soup that was taken from the newspaper, and although there are many chicken soup recipes out there, I am sure that this one will hit the spot! This soup freezes well, also. :)
Top Review by Quest4ZBest
This is a good comfort soup! I had two jars of precooked shreaded chicken, so I just used 8 cups of chicken broth and added 1 cup of heavy cream (all I had)at the end. I also added garlic to the celery and onion as suggested by another review. It isn't a fancy or spice packed recipe, but it is good and very kid friendly. I love soup, but hesitate cooking it for younger kids because normally it isn't very popular. A picky 5 year old ate her entire bowl (surprise!)
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups thin egg noodles (uncooked)
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk, to reduce fat
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan, cover chicken with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minute or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth (reserving broth), bone chicken and discard the skin and bones, setting chicken aside.
- Saute celery and onion in butter until soft, then add flour and cook until golden brown.
- Add reserved broth, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
- When noodles are tender, stir in the chicken meat and the half& half (or milk) until heated thru.
- Serve with warm whole wheat rolls!