Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 hrs
One morning, the weather man said it was going to be 4 degrees that night. So I knew I had to make soup and didn't want to go to the store. So I scrounged in the cabinet and this recipe was born. Use hotter sauce if want more heat. This has a mild spice just right for my guy, who doesn't like hot.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 1 cup green chili salsa
- 16 ounces pinto beans, canned drained
- 10 ounces 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- Put chicken breasts in crock pot, cover with remaining ingredients except rice and cream of chicken.
- Cook on low 8 hours. At end of cook time, with spoon, break up chicken. Stir in cream of chicken. Cook on high for 30 mins more.
- Serve over rice in bowls. You may mix the rice into the soup but the leftovers will be very thick and you may have to add some broth to help consistancy.
This was a pretty tasty soup - I doubled the recipe as I planned on taking some to the neighbor. I ended up cooking it on high for 4 hours then low the last hour. I used packaged enchilada sauce, fresh tomatoes, cream of chicken and nacho cheese soup. It was fairly thick so I didn't add pinto beans or brown rice.
Well, it wasn't 4 degrees this morning MsSally, but there was a nip in the air still, so I popped this into the crockpot at 8am and we ate this delicious soup/stew at 2pm! This is a GREAT recipe; I love to cook haute cuisine and gourmet cuisine, but there is always room for easy to make recipes like this that rely on storecupboard ingredients - wonderful! I had to sub a few things, being in France; I used a packet chicken soup mix and made it up with milk, I had to make an enchilada style sauce too.......everything else was as posted. We ate this with a rice mix that I make myself - brown rice, Camargue red rice, wild rice and Camargue white rice.....very tasty and NOT too spicy for Malcolm, who does not do spicy as I do!!! Made for Photo Tag - saved for the future, merci MsSally! FT:-)