Recipe by Julesong
Here's a recipe based on one from my mom's recipe clipping collection, then combined with Julia Child's wonderful buttery method of preparing garlic. Yum!
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the garlic cloves from the heads.
- Take a saucepan and heat to boiling the water; add the cloves of garlic and simmer for about 1 minute- drain, peel the garlic (which should be softish and should peel easily) and set aside.
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in the saucepan; add back in the peeled garlic and sauté over low for 10 to 15 minutes, until they're a creamy yellow color and are very tender.
- Using a food processor, whir together the cooked garlic and remaining ingredients, scraping down the sides occasionally, until the desired textured is reached.
- Note: keeps tightly covered in the fridge for about a week; also, you can substitute 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil for the tarragon, for a different flavor.
- Note#2: recipe can be stretched by adding some (perhaps 1/2 cup) of silken tofu, too.