Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so good to serve on these below 0 degree days we have been having. A real comfort food for me. I have also chopped up turnips and added along with the other veggies. Serve with a nice crusty bread.
- 907.18 g cabbage, chopped coarsely
- 473.18 ml diced cooked ham
- 295.73 ml shredded carrots (I use the already shredded in a bag to save time)
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 2 (822.13 g) can chicken broth
- 236.59 ml white wine
- 3.69 ml celery salt (or adjust amount to your taste)
- 155.92 g can evaporated milk
- 78.07 ml flour
- 177.44 ml water
- In a large pot, combine the first 9 items and cook on high heat bringing mixture to a boil Reduce heat to medium/low (just a simmer) for about 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the can of evaporated milk.
- mix flour and water until smooth and add slowly to soup mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Wonderful soup. I added two red potatoes, and instead of using the evaporated milk/flour/water, I used 3TLBS cornstarch mixed into 1/3 cup milk, and then at the very end added 1/3 cup cream.