Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so good to serve on these below 0 degree days we have been having. A real comfort food for me. I have also chopped up turnips and added along with the other veggies. Serve with a nice crusty bread.
- 2 lbs cabbage, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded carrots (I use the already shredded in a bag to save time)
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery salt (or adjust amount to your taste)
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- In a large pot, combine the first 9 items and cook on high heat bringing mixture to a boil Reduce heat to medium/low (just a simmer) for about 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the can of evaporated milk.
- mix flour and water until smooth and add slowly to soup mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Wonderful soup. I added two red potatoes, and instead of using the evaporated milk/flour/water, I used 3TLBS cornstarch mixed into 1/3 cup milk, and then at the very end added 1/3 cup cream.