This is an easy soup to make. The tomatoes give it more of a "zing" than other broccoli soups. I usually don't puree it completely smooth, but some prefer it that way.
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb broccoli floret
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk (or half and half)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or shredded American cheese)
- salt, if needed, to taste
- Place onion, broccoli, tomatoes (with juice), broth, pepper, and curry powder in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook until broccoli is very tender; about 12-15 minutes.
- Puree, using an immersion blender/blender/food processor, until desired consistency. (I usually do not completely puree it).
- Return to soup pot over med-low heat and stir in milk and cheese. Stir and cook until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Add salt if needed, to taste.