Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
photo by Sweets n Supper
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh onions
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1⁄3 cup shredded carrot (optional)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 1⁄2 ounces 2% cheddar cheese (sharp, block style cheese, freshly shredded or cut into small, thin pieces)
- 1⁄2 ounce smoked white cheddar cheese (block style, freshly shredded or cut into small, thin pieces)
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot, add butter, onions, and garlic. Sautee over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add beef broth and then the cream. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk, then add in the broccoli, celery, carrots, and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit for approximately 1 minute. When making cheese soups and sauces, adding the cheese to a mixture that is too hot can result in gritty texture.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper, then stir until smooth.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!