Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rich, hearty and absolutely scrumptious broccoli cheddar soup.
Make and share this Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄2 medium chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated carrot
- kosher salt
- freshly grated pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, and sauté onion until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Add additional butter and flour, whisking for 3-5 minutes to create a roux.
- 3. Whisk while adding the half-and-half and chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the broccoli florets and grated carrot. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer over low heat for 30-35 minutes.
- 5. Remove soup from heat and pulse with an immersion blender until smooth. Or, puree the soup in batches in a food processor until smooth, adding mixture back to the pot.
- 6. Return pot to low heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Simmer for 10 minutes, and serve.