Recipe by VegGirl
Another great recipe from Cooking Light. This was one of those meals I made over & over last winter (and I'm not a very big tomato soup fan). To get my toddler to eat it, I whipped up a cheese quesadilla and she dipped it into the soup.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 56 ounces whole tomatoes (drained)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Combine 1/2 cup broth, brown sugar, vinegar & soy sauce in small bowl.
- Place onion, garlic and tomoatoes in a baking pan. Pour above mixture over tomatoes & bake for 50 minutes.
- Place tomato mixture, remaining broth and half-and-half in blender (a little at a time) and blend until smooth. You could also use an immersion blender in a stock pot.
- If picky about lumps, strain mixture through sieve.
- Serve topped with fresh black pepper.